To set an objective, click on the Objectives icon on the top navigation to see the left side panel. Choose to + Add team objective if you're setting it for a group or + Add personal objective if it's your own. For each objective you define:
- The objective, who it's for and its time period
- How you will measure results
- Dependencies on other objectives or workstreams (optional)
The OKR Wizard takes you through these three steps.
A few fields are required* -- the objective name, time period and team to which it belongs -- and the rest are optional information you and your organization may use.
- State your objective*: Give your objective a name and pick the team that owns the objective. Add a narrative that provides business or strategic context, or adds insight.
- Identify the team*: Identify which team the objective is for.
- Select a category: Your organization can set up objective categories, which can be used to filter heatmap views or published reports. This is optional but often helpful.
- Add a narrative: Include context or the story behind the objective to provide additional clarity to management and the team.
- Define the time period*: Set a time period in which you want to reach the objective. OKRs are traditionally done for a quarter because it is faster, more focused and accelerates both results and learning. You can set the time period for the objective to whatever works best for you, and you can have several objectives with different time spans.
- Align the objective upwards: If your objective aligns upwards to one or more of your manager's OKRs, select them here. (You can indicate any dependent objectives or workstreams on the final screen of the OKR wizard).
- Set view permissions*: The default shows the objective only to the team for which it's created; adjust it to as needed. Copy the same permissions to each key result or metric as well, or you can set individual view permissions on each key result.
Click Next in the upper right corner of the editor window to move on to identifying the results you want to measure for this objective. Learn about setting Key Results here.
If you later need to edit the objective, click the kebab icon (three dots icon) at the end of the row in the list view, or at the top right of the objective details screen and select Edit.